CogMed Certified Provider
CogMed helps create a platform for learning by improving verbal working memory, visuospatial working memory, and attention (one of the main executive functions). This brain-training software program promises to reduce inattention, hyperactivity, improve working memory, concentration. This will help children, adolescents and adults in reading comprehension, sentence repetition, and math skills. Solid evidenced based, peer-reviewed research by leading scientists. No other attention training products can match the research case behind Cogmed. Debra is a certified provider and works individually as your coach. www.cogmed.com
Adolescent Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Autism, OCD, Self Harm, Addiction
Individually structured treatment plan with teens and their families. Debra has a unique dual skill set bridging clinical counseling in mental health & certified health counseling modalities, school counselor and national speaker on mental health issues, brain health. Using CBT, Collaborative Problem Solving, mindfulness techniques adapted from Harvard Medical School.
Teen Counseling / Coaching:
If you or a family member are struggling with concerns about a teen, seek support and make these year’s positive memories that will lead to future success. Debra has years of experience as a teen advocate, school counselor, counseling teens and families through health and relational issues.
Empowering teens to make the right choices while learning stress management, psycho social education and reduce risky behavior while focusing on strengths and strategies to achieve personal success. Teens get overwhelmed while trying to manage stress, self harm, addiction, anxiety, depression, ADHD, eating disorders, family divorce and or illness. Too often, the daily struggles of peer pressure, academics, identity, status among their friends, family life, stress and hormones dominates their world with little skill.
Skills in shifting perspectives, identifying self control, empathy using smart goals, personal accountability, core values and problem solving in a positive psychology model.
What a child or teen may benefit from seeing a therapist include:
- developmental delay in speech, language, or toilet training
- learning or attention problems (such as ADHD)
- behavioral problems (such as excessive anger, acting out, bedwetting or eating disorders)
- a significant drop in grades, particularly if your child normally maintains high grades
- episodes of sadness, tearfulness, or depression
- social withdrawal or isolation
- being the victim of bullying or bullying other children
- decreased interest in previously enjoyed activities
- overly aggressive behavior (such as biting, kicking, or hitting)
- sudden changes in appetite (particularly in adolescents)
- insomnia or increased sleepiness
- excessive school absenteeism or tardiness
- mood swings (e.g., happy one minute, upset the next)
- development of or an increase in physical complaints (such as headache, stomachache, or not feeling well) despite a normal physical exam by your doctor
- management of a serious, acute, or chronic illness
- signs of alcohol, drug, or other substance use (such as solvents or prescription drug abuse)
- problems in transitions (following separation, divorce, or relocation)
- bereavement issues
Signs of Teenage Depression:
Teenage depression goes far beyond moodiness and a bad attitude. Teen Depression is a serious matter and needs treatment. 2 out of 10 teens will experience depression. Depression can lead to drugs, alcohol, reckless behaviors, violence, self injury, eating disorders, self esteem deterioration, suicidal thoughts.
A healthy view of growing into adulthood with leadership skills and a strong psychological mind is possible. If you are a parent, friend, teacher there are many things you can do to help.
Watch for signs and call for a consultation:
- Sadness or hopelessness
- Irritability, anger, or hostility
- Tearfulness or frequent crying
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Apathy; Loss of interest in activities
- Changes in eating and sleeping habits
- Restlessness and agitation
- Feelings of worthlessness and guilt
- Lack of enthusiasm
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Thoughts of suicide
ADDICTION – TEEN COUNSELING
Dedicated to teen recovery by creating a private, confidential treatment plan in a compassionate therapeutic environment. Addressing addiction and behaviors with goal centered treatment. Psychological counseling, mental health assessments, working in conjunction with medical doctors, psychiatrist if needed. Incorporating weekly or daily psychotherapy, education, stress management, nutrition, meditation. Debra is a Marriage Family Therapy Associate, supervised by Michael Uram, LMFT, LPCC in Newport Beach & Tustin, California with continued education at Harvard Medical School in Addiction, Child Psychotherapy, Mind Body Medicine.